PC/OS Linux Ringan User Friendly
Tanggal 29 Maret 2010 PC/OS kembali dirilis. Versi 10.1.1 telah dirilis berdasarkan Ubuntu yang dikembangkan perusahaan distro linux terbesar dunia Canonical Inc. Distro ini diklaim bebas bug bawaan ubuntu. Bahkan untuk keperluan multimedia, PC/OS telah included paket-paket dan codec untuk menikmati MP3 dan WMV.
PC/OS secara default menggunakan window manager XFCE. XFCE dipilih karena sangat ringan dibanding GNOME ataupun KDE. Distro ini tersedia dalam tiga pilihan rasa :
- Untuk PC dan Notebook normal, gunakan versi OpenWorkstation. Bisa diunduh di sini.
- Untuk Netbook dan PC Kuno bisa menggunakan versi Webstation. Versi ini bisa diunduh di sini. Jangan lupa unduh MD5.
- Untuk yang suka GNOME silahkan unduh versi GNOME di sini. Jangan lupa unduh juga MD5.
FAQ dari situs resminya PC/OS :
- (Q) What is PC/OS? (A) PC/OS is a Linux distribution based on Ubuntu by Canonical. PC/OS differs from Ubuntu in many ways and has come to stand on its own.
- (Q) How does PC/OS differ from Ubuntu and in what ways is it the same? (A) PC/OS shares much with Ubuntu, it shares the same base system as Ubuntu and shares application compatibility with Ubuntu. It differs from Ubuntu in the way its user focused. Linux in a lot of ways has the reputation of being not very user friendly and leaving out a lot in terms of compatibility with what the user has come to expect from their computing experience. PC/OS aims to change that. All multimedia codecs from Flash, MP3 and WMV support is built in and works out of box including the LiveDVD/CD, Java works out of the box, in short PC/OS meets the demands that users have come to expect from their computing experience.
- (Q) What is the focus of PC/OS? (A) PC/OS has a couple of goals that set it apart from the rest. Our primary focus is ease of use. Our mission statement “simplified computing” is in line with everything we do. We offer many tools built in that Ubuntu doesnt include. Likewise Open, gUFW, Scheduler, Hal Device manager are just a few examples. In the DVD release especially we have a focus on multimedia production, content creation and software developement offering the tools necessary to get the job done. The average consumer is also compensated in the PC/OS release with many multimedia and office productivity tools.
- (Q) A Be like theme are used in PC/OS, what is PC/OS in terms of relations to BeOS? (A) The Be theme is used simply as a tribute to the BeOS. We have many goals in line with what the BeOS was. Multimedia performance and ease of use are the goals that PC/OS and BeOS have in common.
- (Q) Does PC/OS aim to be a clone of BeOS? (A) In short the answer is no. Namely the code and concepts are owned by ACCESS and cloning them would be illegal. PC/OS builds upon available Linux and Open Source technologies and in no way aims to be a clone of the BeOS. It is very BeOS like in terms of functionality and looks but the concepts and the desktop are very different.
- (Q) What can the user expect when they use PC/OS and what about people people intimidated by the command line? (A) The user can expect a great experience. PC/OS is setup so that the user needs very little exposure to the command line. Also it helps them with advanced tasks, want to setup ufw, no need to go to the command line, want to schedule something to run, no need to setup CRON, need to setup SAMBA, no need to go to the command line. PC/OS is designed for the user.
- (Q) What are the differencess between the releases of PC/OS? (A) PC/OS has several different releases. They all differ in their target audiences. The DVD ISO also known as OpenWorkstation contains media production tools, software development tools, and office productivity tools. If you are a developer, content creator, system administrator your most complete solution would be the DVD ISO. PC/OS OpenDesktop is a CD ISO contains office productivity, games, tools for multimedia playback and some system admin tools. if you are a desktop user or just want to try PC/OS, the CD ISO is your best choice. PC/OS Open Server System is geared toward server installations. It simplifies server administartion by containing webmin and many GUI tools focused on server operations. It excels as a media streaming platform as well as a file/print server for home or small business users as well as a web server platform. The PC/OS Appliance is geard towards owners of the EeePC and anyone who just wants a minimal platform for Internet Appliances and kiosks. PC/OS Webstation is geared towards users who wish to utilize the next generation Web 2.0 applications.
- (Q) Why XFCE and not GNOME? (A) XFCE is a lightweight window manager that runs well on all classes of machines. from the newest Intel Core Duo to the lowly 500mhz PC of yester year. PC/OS being so lightweight helps you get the maximum investment out of your existing hardware or older hardware.
- (Q) How is PC/OS created? (A) PC/OS is created using Remastersys which allows you to create a LiveCD or DVD of an Ubuntu installation. PC/OS is based on Ubuntu from Canonical and the desktop is based on XFCE. PC/OS is based on the LTS releases of Ubuntu. PC/OS gathers the best packages and applications, bundles them and sets up the experience for the user. Alot of these are available from the Ubuntu repositories, some are not and we also bundle the updated packages so that the user doesnt get packages six to seven months old. A few packages not included in the repositories are compiled from source and are included in PC/OS.
- (Q) If the PC/OS developers decide to quit producing PC/OS or something happens to the primary developer, what happens then? (A) PC/OS is based on Ubuntu for that reason. If something happens to PC/OS, users can still get important updates and fixes from the Canonical repositories while working on an exit strategy, being based on the LTS users have 3 years with which to get this done.
- (Q) Where can I find out more information on this new distribution? (A) The forums and this website are your best source for PC/OS information. Want to be an insider? With information and access to beta builds. Donate $40.00 to the project using the donate button at the top of the screen.
- (Q) How can I help the project? (A) You can ask to be part of the development team. Submit artwork, Icon themes etc. Donate equipment, buy DVD’s or CD’s from On-Disk or donate to the project.